The Palace of Westminster is Old – level 2
In London, the Palace of Westminster was rebuilt in the mid-1800s following a fire. Now, in the 21st century, it needs renovations. The stonework is falling apart, roofs are leaking and the plumbing is failing.
There are five possible solutions to this problem. The cheapest would cost 3.5 billion pounds, but the MPs would have to move out for six years. The most expensive solution would cost 5.7 billion pounds and take 32 years to complete.
The Commons and Lords will have to vote within the next few years on what to do to solve their potential housing problem.
Difficult words: renovation (when you work on something and make it nice again), MP (a member of parliament).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Which solution would you choose?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.