The same charger for all smartphones – level 3
The European Commission said on Thursday that it wants a single type of charging port to be used for all smartphones and tablets, as well as equipment such as cameras, headphones, portable speakers, and handheld video consoles.
The EU is hoping to pass a law that would standardize the charging port, with the EU’s industry chief Thierry Breton saying that with more devices, more chargers were sold that weren’t interchangeable or necessary, and the EU wanted to end that.
The law would target companies like Apple whose iPhones and other products use the company’s own lightning charging port. The EU hopes that the standardization will cut waste and be more convenient for people who own multiple devices. However, an Apple spokesperson said that strict laws requiring just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it.
Annually, EU consumers spend more than 2.4 billion euros on charging accessories for phones that actually don’t come with devices. The law could save consumers 250 million euros a year by cutting the cost for buying those new chargers.
Difficult words: standardize (to make one thing the same as others of the same type), interchangeable (able to be exchanged with each other without making any difference or without being noticed), stifle (to prevent something from happening or continuing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.