The Shanghai Tower – level 1
People are building a skyscraper. It is called the Shanghai Tower. It is in Shanghai, China. It has 120 floors. It is 632 metres tall.
It is the tallest building in China, but it is not the tallest building in the world. It is the second tallest building.
Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world. Burj Khalifa is in Dubai, Saudi Arabia. It is 200 metres taller than the Shanghai Tower.
Difficult words: skyscraper (a very tall building), tower (a tall, skinny building).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the building?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos