The Shanghai Tower – level 2
People are building China’s tallest building. Its name is the Shanghai Tower and they will finish it this summer. With 120 floors, it will be 632 metres tall.
It won’t be the world’s tallest building – it will be 200 metres lower than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. However, a chief architect explained that this is not a bad thing. He says that when a building which is the tallest in the world is built, there is a recession.
There was a recession when the Empire State Building was built. For the first ten years, it didn’t make any money! But now, it is one of the most successfully rented buildings. It is iconic, people know it and people want to be in it.
Shanghai Tower will house mainly financial institutions and government agencies.
Difficult words: recession (when the economy is not doing very well), iconic (famous), house verb (to provide somebody with a place).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the building?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos