The US and the World – level 1
American leaders have different opinions on what the USA does in the world. President Obama and President Bush say that it is good for America to be active in the world. President Trump says that other countries need to work on their own.
A survey of the American people shows what they think. Most people want America to be active throughout the world. They want the USA to be in world trade, help others, protect democracy and people, defend countries, and keep America safe.
Some people want America to work on world trade and world talks only (without being part of wars).
Difficult words: opinion (an idea about something such as if it is good or bad), survey (when you ask many people what they think about something), democracy (a type of government where people pick their leaders).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.