The US Attacks Syria – level 3
In Syria, US air-strikes were for the first time directed at one of President Assad’s military bases. This was a reaction to a chemical weapons attack, which killed innocent civilians. However, Donald Trump’s intervention has divided Syrian Americans.
In New York people protested against America’s reaction. The protesters were disappointed with Donald Trump’s intervention. They voted for him because he promised not to be a policeman for the world. He promised to stay within America. One of the protesters said that this was one more war based on a total lie.
However, a lot of Syrians welcomed what President Trump has done. Other Syrian Americans expressed a sense of hope that this action will get Syria rid of the murderous Assad regime. One person said that he thinks that the United States finally made a move for humanity and to help the Syrian people.
Difficult words: intervention (come between two parties in a conflict), stay within (remain somewhere), get rid of (find a way to make someone leave).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos