The world’s biggest orchestra – level 3
More than 12,000 musicians in Venezuela’s National System of Youth and Children’s Orchestras, known as ’El Sistema’, performed Tchaikovsky’s ’Slavonic March’.
They performed for about ten minutes in an attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the largest orchestra performance. The music piece was a tone poem by Tchaikovsky in 1876 to celebrate Russia’s help in the Serbo-Turkish War.
Thousands of musicians came together on November 13, with performers ranging in age from 12 to 77. They gathered at the Venezuelan Military Academy in Caracas for the one-hour concert, conducted by Andres Abreu, the 34-year-old nephew of acclaimed Venezuelan Jose Antonio Abreu.
More than 250 supervisors observed the performance. The Guinness World Records will determine within ten days whether the musicians set the record.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.