The world´s longest footbridge – level 2
In 2016, workers started to build the longest footbridge in the world, and last week, it finally opened.
The footbridge is in northern Portugal, and it hangs 175 meters above the River Paiva. It is 516 meters long and it takes 10 minutes to walk across it. 100 people can be on the footbridge at the same time, and they can enjoy the beautiful scenery with many waterfalls and green hills. Not all people like the footbridge because the bottom is transparent and they can see the river below. The first visitors said that they were a little afraid to walk across the footbridge, but the experience was very special, and they enjoyed it in the end.
The bridge consists of large pillars and steel cables, and it cost 2.8 million dollars.
Difficult words: scenery (how a place looks, usually a beautiful place in nature), transparent (when it is possible to see through something), pillar (a tall structure which holds a building), steel cable (a strong metal that holds things up).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.