Thousands of dead fish – level 1
This news is about a lake. The lake is in Mexico. It is full of dead fish. People remove 50 tonnes of them. People want to know what’s wrong.
Some people say that nothing is wrong. They say that the fish do this. Others say that there is not enough oxygen in the water.
Why is there not enough oxygen? There are buildings around the lake. They clean dirty water. Maybe, they do something wrong. Maybe, dirty water gets into the lake.
Difficult words: remove (to put away), oxygen (O2; the gas which we breathe).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think went wrong?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.