Thousands of dead fish – level 2
Thousands of dead fish emerged in a lake in Mexico. Residents removed fifty tonnes of the fish. Now, people want to know why the fish died.
Some people said that the fish died because of their “natural cycle”, but authorities told the media that the fish did not have enough oxygen.
There wasn’t enough oxygen because of wastewater treatment plants – the plants probably did something wrong. If the owners of the plants are found guilty, they will have to pay for this.
Difficult words: resident (a person who resides – lives somewhere), authorities (people who are in a position of power), wastewater treatment plant (a place where dirty water is treated – cleaned).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think went wrong?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos