Thousands of penguins die – level 2
According to a study, melting ice in Antarctica led to a disaster. None of the emperor penguin chicks in the four colonies survived.
Satellite images showed a lack of ice in December. It caused the death of around 9,000 chicks. Last year’s ice levels were the lowest in history. Experts say that climate change will make such incidents more common. Nearly 30% of known penguin colonies suffered because of low sea-ice levels, and about 13 colonies probably died out.
There are concerns about future breeding sites for penguins because these places are disappearing.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures could be taken to prevent a similar disaster in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.