Three earthquakes happen in the world in one day – level 1
On Saturday, three big earthquakes happen in different places around the world, Papua New Guinea, Mexico, and Afghanistan.
The worst one hits Afghanistan, near Herat City. It has a magnitude of 6.3. It kills 15 people and hurts 78. It is possible that there are more dead people. After the first shake, there are three more big shakes. Houses fall and people stay inside. Afghanistan gets lots of earthquakes because two big pieces of the Earth’s crust crash there.
In Mexico and Papua New Guinea, the earthquakes have a magnitude 6.3 and 6.7. Luckily, nobody dies.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are two known causes of earthquakes?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.