Three earthquakes happen in the world in one day – level 2
On Saturday morning, three strong earthquakes happened in different parts of the world. They shook Papua New Guinea, Mexico, and Afghanistan.
The most serious earthquake with a magnitude of 6.3 hit Afghanistan, near Herat city. It caused at least 15 deaths and left 78 people hurt. Sadly, more casualties may come. After the first earthquake, there were three more powerful shakes. They made buildings fall and trapped people under the rubble. Afghanistan often has earthquakes because two big pieces of the Earth’s crust, the Indian plate and the Eurasian plate, meet there.
Before the earthquake in Afghanistan, Mexico, and Papua New Guinea also felt strong quakes, with magnitudes of 6.3 and 6.7. Luckily, they didn’t report any dead or injured people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other regions of the world experience earthquakes due to the two big pieces of the Earth's crust meeting?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.