Tigers in India – level 2
The world has lost 97 per cent of its tiger population in just over a century. Tigers face dangers of habitat loss and poaching. The trade with tiger body parts grows, especially in China, where they are used as medicine.
India is trying to save its tiger population and says that the situation is getting better. We can thank forest guards and wildlife activists. India has 70 per cent of the world’s tiger population. There are 2,226 tigers in India’s 47 tiger reserves.
Difficult words: habitat (an animal’s natural home), loss (when you lose something), poach (to hunt animals illegally).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why should tigers be protected?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.