TikTok ban – level 2
TikTok is a popular social media app developed by Chinese startup ByteDance. Several companies banned TikTok completely or on government phones because they worried about national security.
Many countries criticized TikTok’s close ties with the Chinese government and how TikTok dealt with user data.
The UK, Belgium, Canada, Scotland, the European Parliament, and New Zealand banned TikTok on government phones because they could contain sensitive information. Officials worry that the Chinese government could get this data. US officials asked TikTok’s owners to diversify their stakes. If they didn’t do it, the US could ban TikTok, too.
Other countries, which banned TikTok, are for example India and Pakistan. China said that banning TikTok wasn’t fair.
Difficult words: national security (when a country is safe from the danger of other countries), criticize (to say negative things about someone or something), diversify stakes (when more individuals or organizations share a business).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What actions should countries take to regulate the use of TikTok and protect national security?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos