Tobacco Children in Indonesia – level 2
Indonesia is the 5th biggest producer of tobacco. Hiring children under 15 years of age in Indonesia is illegal but around 1.5 million children work in Indonesia’s agriculture. Thousands of them work on rubber, palm oil, and tobacco plantations.
Many of them suffer from “green tobacco sickness” – they get headaches, get dizzy and sick. They skip school to help their families make money, but they make only one dollar a day.
Human rights groups are trying to change things. They ask the biggest companies in Indonesia to educate the families about the dangers.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.