Tobacco Trouble – level 3
Maryland, a small American state in the Mid-Atlantic region with a population of 6 million, raised the minimum age to buy tobacco and nicotine products from 18 to 21.
The state’s governor said that it was a measure ‘to confront the sharp rise in teen vaping’. According to one American agency, more than 2 million middle school and high school students used e-cigarettes in 2017.
Maryland became the 13th US state to increase the tobacco sale age to 21. Last month, one senator said that he plans to put forward a law which would raise the tobacco sale age to 21 everywhere in the USA.
Difficult words: measure (a method, a way), confront (deal with), vape (to smoke an e-cigarette or something similar).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos