Tokyo 2020 Olympics begin – level 1
The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games start last week on Friday. There will be more than 11,300 athletes from 207 countries.
There is a very serious situation with the coronavirus in Japan. Many people get sick in the past weeks. A state of emergency is in Tokyo. A state of emergency means that many bad things are happening.
The Japanese people are angry. They think that it is better to postpone or cancel the Olympics.
Athletes start to arrive in Tokyo. They must do a COVID-19 test every day. 11 athletes are already positive with COVID-19. They must stay in a hotel room. They cannot compete.
All athletes must wear a mask all the time. They must not meet each other. There will be no spectators at the Olympics.
Difficult words: postpone (to decide that something will happen later), compete (to take part in a match or game), spectator (a person who watches a match or game).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos