Tonnes of dead fish – level 2
Thousands of dead fish appeared in a lagoon in Mexico. People removed nearly 50 tonnes of fish in just two days.
The incident started an investigation into local wastewater treatment plants. The fish probably died of high pollution, but everybody says something different. Some locals say it was a natural phenomenon, but the government rejects this.
Difficult words: wastewater treatment plant (building which cleans water), pollution (dangerous waste from people or animals), phenomenon (something which happens in nature).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why do you think the fish died?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.