Tornado hits the Czech Republic – level 3
At least three people have died and hundreds have been injured after a rare tornado tore through southeastern Czech Republic on Thursday.
Drone footage showed the extent of the damage, with several towns and villages overturned by the storm. Winds of at least 219 kmph were recorded, and the worst-hit areas were said to look like a war zone. Hail stones the size of tennis balls were reported, and local officials said that a string of villages had suffered substantial damage along a 25-kilometer stretch of road heading from Breclav to Hodonin.
A state of emergency has been declared in some regions while emergency workers continue to search for injured people. They were joined by their counterparts from neighboring Austria and Slovakia.
A few hundred tornadoes cross Europe every year; however, many are unreported.
Difficult words: overturn (to move or destroy), war zone (a place where people are fighting in a war), substantial (large in size, value, or importance), counterpart (a person or thing that has the same purpose as another one in a different place or organization).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.