Tornadoes hit six US states – level 2
A thunderstorm created several tornadoes in the middle and south of the US. It was very unusual because the tornadoes came when cold weather normally limits tornadoes.
Kentucky was the worst-hit state, as 70 people died there, and thousands of homes and businesses were without electricity. One tornado destroyed a candle factory with more than one hundred people inside. The US President Joe Biden declared a disaster in Kentucky, and he promised some help to people who had no food and water.
The storm moved from Arkansas and Missouri into Tennessee and Kentucky. Strong winds destroyed buildings, toppled trees and cars, and damaged power lines. The tornadoes destroyed an area that was more than 320 kilometers long.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.