Tourists damage the Colosseum – level 2
Two American tourists in Rome were visiting the Colosseum. The girls, aged 21 and 25, scratched their initials “J” and “N” into the ancient walls and then took a selfie. Police officers noticed the girls’ behaviour and stepped in.
The 2,000-year-old area is one of Rome’s most popular attractions. Millions of tourists visit it every year. Sadly, some damage it. The girls weren’t the first ones to do this. A Russian tourist scratched an initial into a wall of the Colosseum last year. He had to pay 20,000 euros for this.
Difficult words: initial (the first letter of a name), ancient (very old), step in (to do something about something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these tourists?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.