Town in the sea – level 1
Baia is a Roman town. It is more than 2,000 years old.
It is a popular place for rich people and politicians in ancient Rome. Fish swim through the town today. 15,000 divers and tourists visit it every year. How is it possible? Hundreds of years ago, the town moves towards the sea. A volcano in the Mediterranean Sea moves it. Then, the whole town is under water. Divers find it again in 1969.
Today, people can swim through the town. They see beautiful statues and mosaics. Some things are not real. The animals and plants in the sea can break the statues. People take them out. They put copies of the same things back in the sea.
Difficult words: ancient Rome (a large area in Southern Europe, Northern Africa, and a part of Asia, which is from 2,000 years ago), diver (a person who swims deep in the water), mosaic (small pieces of stone or glass, which make a bigger picture).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.