Transgender athlete at the Olympics – level 1
Laurel Hubbard comes from New Zealand. She is the first transgender athlete who will be at the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Hubbard competes in men’s weightlifting in the past. She becomes a woman in 2015. She competes in women’s weightlifting now. She will be a part of New Zealand’s Olympic team.
Some people say that it is not fair. Transgender athletes have different bodies than other athletes. There are new rules for transgender athletes. Hubbard must have very little testosterone in her body. Testosterone is a natural chemical that a man has.
Some scientists say that a person’s body changes in puberty. Puberty is the time when a child becomes an adult. A transgender woman is a man in puberty. Her body is different to the body of other women.
Difficult words: compete (to try to be better than other people), transgender (a person who is born as a man but he feels that he is a woman, or a person who is born as a woman but she feels that she is a man), weightlifting (the sport when athletes lift heavy things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.