Transgender athletes cannot compete – level 2
Halba Diouf, a transgender woman, had a dream to compete in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.
She trained hard for the 200-meter race, but her hopes stopped in March when the World Athletics Council banned athletes like her from competing in women’s events. The council excluded male-to-female transgender athletes to protect the female category, which was often the main reason to exclude trans women from sports competitions. Until recently, female transgender athletes could compete in top events as long as their natural testosterone levels were below 5 nanomoles per liter of blood. Many people criticized this for ethical reasons.
In March 2023, World Athletics reduced the natural testosterone level to 2.5 nanomoles per liter of blood and it must be maintained for two years.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What ethical considerations were raised when the World Athletics Council initially set the natural testosterone level to 5 nanomoles per liter of blood?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.