Tunnel in a KFC – level 3
The US federal authorities discovered a drug-smuggling tunnel between the USA and Mexico in an abandoned KFC restaurant.
The tunnel leads from a house in Mexico to the former fast-food restaurant in Arizona. Scott Brown from Homeland Security Department said that criminals smuggled a very significant quantity of hard narcotics across the border.
So far, police arrested the restaurant’s owner after police found packages of Class A drugs in his truck, but the authorities aim to identify everybody involved in the undertaking as the construction of the tunnel in itself was a crime.
Difficult words: smuggle (move something illegally to another country), abandoned (no longer used), former (ex-), Homeland Security Department (a part of government which makes sure people are safe), significant (great), narcotic (a drug that people use for pain or dulling sensation), Class A (most dangerous), undertaking (activity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.