Turkey and Syria earthquake – level 2
On early Monday morning, a strong earthquake hit Turkey and Syria.
The earthquake had a magnitude of 7.8 and it was 10 kilometers deep. Hundreds of buildings collapsed and thousands of people were trapped in the rubble. The first reports said that at least 12 000 people died in Turkey and 3 500 died in Syria, but authorities expected the number to grow. Local people and rescue workers searched the rubble all night to pull out many people, including children.
Many countries are sending help to Turkey, but the earthquake damaged three airports in the country, so people cannot easily deliver things to the affected areas.
Difficult words: magnitude (a number which says the strength of an earthquake), trapped (be in one place and unable to move), rubble (broken pieces of buildings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What will be the official death toll from the earthquake?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos