Turkey Earthquake – level 1
An earthquake hits Turkey last week. An earthquake is when the ground moves. The earthquake is strong. The magnitude is between 6.6 and 7. This means it is big.
Several buildings fall down in the city of Izmir. At least 80 people die. But many people are still missing. Rescuers work hard to find them.
Thousands of people help search through the rubble. They use diggers. Diggers are heavy machines that builders use.
They save a man. The man is 70 years old. He stays in the rubble for 33 hours. Rescuers also save a young girl. She is 14 years old. An ambulance takes her to hospital. Rescuers are very happy.
The earthquake hits Greece, too. A few buildings fall down. Two teenagers die.
Difficult words: magnitude (how strong an earthquake is), missing (when people do not know where someone or something is), rubble (pieces of walls, bricks, or stones).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos