Turkey Earthquake – level 3
Last week, an earthquake of an estimated magnitude of 7 struck the Turkish port city of Izmir. A shallow tremor triggered tidal waves that hit coastal areas in both Turkey and Greece. Two teenagers died on the Greek Island of Samos.
In Turkey, at least 80 deaths were confirmed, and dozens of people were missing. Thousands of personnel were sent to work through the night near collapsed buildings to aid rescue efforts, using mechanical diggers to remove rubble.
Turkish rescue teams continued to search for survivors for several days. A 70-year-old man was pulled from rubble after being trapped for 33 hours. Rescue workers clapped in unison after a dramatic rescue of a 14-year-old girl on Monday.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.