Turkish warplanes crash – level 3
A Turkish warplane has crashed near the central Anatolian city of Konya, killing the two pilots. It’s the second fatal air accident for Turkey’s armed forces in less than 2 weeks.
The F-4E took off on a planned training flight at 9 a.m. local time and came down nearly an hour later.
One of the pilot’s bodies has been recovered and recovery for the second body is under way.
A man who witnessed the crash said he saw the plane diving down and saw two fireballs coming out of the plane like rockets.
An inquiry is already under way to discover why two training jets went down in Malatya Province on February 24th, killing four people.
Turkey has the second largest military in NATO and its Air Force has played an active role in patrolling its troubled borders with Syria and Iraq.
Difficult words: Anatolian (relating to Anatolia – Asia Minor; area where Turkey is), fatal (causing death), armed forces (military), under way (being done), inquiry (an official investigation), patrol (to keep watch over an area), trouble (having problems).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.