Turtles on the beach – level 3
Thousands of turtles have arrived at the Ostional coastline of Costa Rica in the annual wildlife phenomenon Arribada. The event was captured on a Costa Rican beach when an estimated 5,000 turtles were seen making their way across. Arribada involves large numbers of the creatures coming ashore all at once to nest and lay their eggs in the sand.
Despite the turtles’ arrival, much to the delight of locals and tourists, hundreds of people who turned up to get a glimpse stood in the way of them, causing many to return to the sea without laying their eggs.
Union workers from the Ministry of Environment and Energy posted these pictures on its Facebook page. It has been reported that some tourists touched turtles, stood on their nests, took pictures with a flash camera and even placed children on top of them to take photos.
“Arribada” means “arrival by sea” in Spanish. Nearly every month there are mass arrivals at the wildlife refuge, but September and October are known as the peak months of the season.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), phenomenon (something special which happens in nature), creature (an animal), glimpse (s quick look), refuge a safe place for animals or people, peak (the point of highest activity).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.