Tutankhamun Statue – level 1
This news is about an Egyptian statue. It is 28 centimetres in size. It is 3,000 years old. It looks a little like the pharaoh Tutankhamun.
People are going to sell the statue. The Egyptian embassy protests. The embassy says that someone stole it. The auction house says that this is not true. The statue sells for $6 million.
Difficult words: embassy (a country’s ‘office’ in another country), stole (past of ‘steal’ – take something that is not yours), auction house (a place which sells special things to the person who can pay the most money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos