Two Men Escape from a Prison – level 3
A bright post-it note was left by two convicted murderers as they fled a maximum security prison in New York. It has been dubbed as a ’Shawshank Redemption-style escape’ with men cutting a hole through a wall and crawling out through sewer tunnels.
A huge manhunt is under way for 48 year-old Richard Matt, and 34 year-old David Sweat, who busted out of Clinton Correctional Facility sometime between Friday night and early Saturday.
More than 200 local, state and federal law enforcement officials set up road blocks, took to the air and went door-to-door in the search for the men who have been described as dangerous.
New York is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to their arrests and has notified law enforcement in Canada and Mexico about the fugitives.
“Again, please, we’re trying to enlist the help of New Yorkers. These are not people to be trifled with. Look at the picture, if you see them, please contact law enforcement immediately. Thank you very much.”
Difficult words: post-it note (a piece of paper which can be stuck on something), dub (to give an unofficial name to something), sewer tunnel (a tunnel which carries away waste material), huge (very big), bust out (to escape), facility (a big building), trifle with (to treat somebody without seriousness).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.