Two men go missing in the Amazon – level 3
British journalist Dom Philips went missing in the Amazon last week. He vanished alongside indigenous affairs official Bruno Araujo Pereira, and Brazilian police are currently questioning a man over their disappearance.
According to police, Mr. Pereira had received death threats just one week earlier after clashes with riverside communities over illegal fishing. The pair were reportedly last seen early in the São Rafael community in the Javari region. It is home to the most isolated indigenous people in the world.
A vigil was held for the two men, and supporters and family members gathered outside the Brazilian Embassy in London, UK. They urged authorities to intensify the search, and Mr. Philips’s wife appealed to the authorities to take urgent action. Both men had extensive experience and knowledge of the region; however, time was a key factor in rescue operations, especially if the men were injured.
Difficult words: vanish (to disappear suddenly and completely), clash (a violent conflict), vigil (a period of time when people remain quietly in a place, for example to pray or to make a political protest).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos