Typhoon in Japan – level 2
A typhoon brought many parts of Japan to a standstill. It struck Tokyo, and at least one person died.
Thousands of homes lost power, and it delayed hundreds of flights. The winds reached speeds of up to 90 miles per hour (145 kph).
Last month a volcano erupted. It covered itself in ash, and some people worry about possible landslides. The eruption of the volcano killed at least 51 people. People stopped the search for the survivors because of the typhoon. People expect up to 16 inches (40 cm) of rain in central Japan.
Difficult words: standstill (a situation in which there is no activity at all), strike (hit), ash (gray or black material which is left after something burns).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is there sometimes such an extreme weather like this in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos