UAE bans the new Spider-Man movies – level 1
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) won’t show the movie ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse’ in its cinemas.
The cinema chain Vox Cinemas didn’t say why. But people online and movie fans are talking about the film’s transgender ideas. Some people say that one character is transgender. Cinemas in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, and Bahrain also don’t list the movie as coming soon.
The UAE Media Council says on Twitter that the film goes against the country’s values and media standards. In the Middle East, people think it is wrong to be different from traditional sexual norms.
Difficult words: transgender (when someone feels like they are not the gender which they are born as), value (ideas which people believe in), traditional (something what exists for a long time and people think that it is normal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of the UAE's decision to not show the movie 'Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse' and what message does this send about freedom of expression in the Middle East?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.