Uber vs. New Jersey – level 1
The US state of New Jersey is not happy with Uber. Uber is a ride service. The New Jersey government says that Uber owes it around $650 million.
The money is for unemployment and disability insurance. This is because Uber says that its drivers are independent contractors.
The problem means that Uber may need to change what it calls its drivers. The drivers can be employees instead. They can get paid more money. This means that Uber has to spend more money.
Uber says that it is going to fight New Jersey. It also says that this problem can take years to fix.
Difficult words: unemployment and disability insurance (the money that a US company needs to pay if workers lose their jobs or if they get hurt), independent contractor (a worker who works for a company from a contract which is a signed agreement), employee (a regular worker of a company who gets a regular amount of money for his work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.