UK farmers have problems – level 3
The cost of growing cucumber climbs in the UK due to soaring energy prices.
For three generations, Tony Montalbano’s family has farmed cucumbers in the southeast of England, and he’s supplied major supermarkets. However, 30,000 square meters of the company’s greenhouses are empty. They would normally be full of fully grown plants.
The rising cost of energy has stopped the company from using heat to grow the plants. Montalbano decided not to plant the first of the year’s three cycles in January, hoping that gas prices would drop. However, that didn’t happen, and gas costs much more than last year.
Last year, it cost about 25 pence to grow a cucumber in the UK. The price has doubled, and it could cost 70 pence when energy prices rise. The cost of fertilizer and labor has also soared, and farmers have not planted peppers, tomatoes, and other plants.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.