UK is leaving the EU – level 2
The referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union happened on the 23rd June 2016.
The total number of ballot papers was 33,577,342. The total number of votes in favour of remaining was 16,141,241. The total number of votes in favour of leaving was 17,410,742.
This means that the UK voted to leave the European Union.
Difficult words: membership (being a member), ballot paper (a piece of paper which you use to vote), in favour (if you are in favour of something, you support it, want it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.