Ukraine dam collapses – level 3
Thousands of people are being evacuated downstream of a major dam in Russian-held Ukraine.
President Zelensky accused Russia of destroying the dam, putting 80 towns and villages at risk of flooding. Russia denied the accusation, blaming the Ukrainian shelling. The dam is crucial for providing water to farmers, residents, and the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant. Video footage showed floodwater gushing through a breach in the dam, already flooding several towns. Approximately 40,000 people need to be evacuated. Ukraine-controlled territory has 17,000 evacuees, while Russian-controlled territory has 25,000. Concerns are raised about the impact on the nuclear power plant; however, the situation is said to be under control.
The cause of the dam breach is unknown, with Ukraine accusing Russia of deliberate destruction. World leaders condemned the attack and they called it a war crime.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact are concerns raised about for the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.