Ukraine’s New President – level 2
In Ukraine, presidential elections recently happened. The two finalists were Volodymyr Zelenskiy and Petro Poroshenko, the country’s current president. Zelenskiy collected 73 per cent of the final vote and Poroshenko only 24 per cent.
Zelenskiy, the winner, is a political newcomer. Before he entered politics, he was an actor best known for playing the country’s fictional president on a popular TV series. His TV character won the office after he went on an extremely popular anti-corruption rant.
Zelenskiy used his popularity from the show, and he ran a real-life political campaign with the main focus onfighting corruption. Poroshenko’s campaign, on the other hand, was strongly anti-Russian and nationalistic. The new president is not pro-Russian, but Poroshenko thinks that because he has no experience in politics, it will be easy for Russia to manipulate him.
Russia said that things can get better between Ukraine and Russia, but Putin’s office said that it is still too early.
Difficult words: election (when people vote to choose their leaders), rant (speaking emotionally and critically about something), focus (interest, the most important thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos