Unusual Cards – level 2
Indy Mellink is a 23-year-old psychology student and designer who created unusual cards.
Last summer, she was explaining a game to her cousin, and she asked herself why a king ranked more than a queen on playing cards. She thought that it was important to make people see that in history, men were always more important than women.
Mellink got an idea to make cards which would have no images of men and women on them. She made cards where there were gold, silver and bronze bars instead of a king, queen and jack.
Mellink tested the cards and she sold around 1,500 packs. Some players said that they never thought about the different situation of men and women when they played cards. They did not think that a king was more important than a queen.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.