Update on Costa Concordia – level 2
Costa Concordia capsized off Italy 2.5 years ago. Thirty-two people died. Now, people move the shipwreck. The big operation costs 2 billion dollars.
People make a time-lapse video of the operation. It starts last Monday at 9 am. People move away the 114,500-tonne Concordia. They tow it away to a port where they will take it apart. All of the metal will be reused.
The ship is two times bigger than the Titanic.
Difficult words: capsize (turn over in the water), time-lapse (made by taking pictures over a longer period of time and then making a video from them), tow (pull).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How would you punish the captain?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos