US abortion law – level 3
US Supreme Court has extended a temporary block on limits set by lower courts on access to the abortion pill, Mifepristone, giving the justices more time to consider requests to block the restrictions.
The pill’s manufacturer, Danco Laboratories, and the Biden administration have asked the court to block an April 7 preliminary injunction issued by a lower court judge in Texas that would greatly limit the availability of the drug while the litigation proceeds.
The Supreme Court has a conservative majority, and the administration is seeking to defend Mifepristone against abortion bans and restrictions enacted by Republican-led states since the Supreme Court in June 2022 overturned the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that had legalized the procedure nationwide.
Mifepristone is used in combination with another drug called Misoprostol to perform medication abortions, which account for more than half of all US abortions.
Difficult words: injunction (an official order given by a court), litigation (taking legal action), enact (to make law).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the current status of medication abortion in the US, and how might the Supreme Court ruling impact its availability?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos