US hospitals are suing patients – level 1
Some patients in the US do not pay hospital bills. Hospitals are suing these people.
This means that people who cannot pay may go to court. They may lose money from their paychecks. They may even lose their homes. Very many cases happen in Wisconsin. Maryland makes new laws, and in 2023, there are no cases. Doctors and nurses find out that their hospital sues patients. They feel very bad about it. This is not good for patients and hospitals.
Since 2019, some places have fewer cases. Laws are changing. It is good news for people with medical debt.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the current state of medical debt in the United States and how are laws and practices changing to address this issue?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.