US Kills Two Prisoners – level 3
In the US, a second federal execution in less than a week took place at a federal prison in Indiana.
Wesley Purkey was convicted of kidnapping and murder of a 16-year-old girl in Kansas City in 1998. Purkey was considered mentally fit when he stood trial for the death penalty in 2003. However, this week, Purkey’s lawyers said that he no longer had rational understanding due to Alzheimer’s disease. On Thursday, right before being executed by lethal injection, Purkey reportedly apologized to the family of the victim and to his own daughter.
On Tuesday, another man was executed by lethal injection, marking the first federal execution in the US in nearly two decades.
Difficult words: federal execution (the death penalty that is carried out on a federal level and it applies in all 50 US states), rational understanding (when a person can think logically), lethal injection (an injection that is intended to kill a person, especially as a type of death penalty).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.