US-Mexico Tunnel – level 1
US officials find a tunnel. It connects Mexico with California. This tunnel is more than .8 miles long. It is the longest tunnel that officials know of. Drug cartels use the tunnel to get drugs from Mexico to the US.
The tunnel is very complicated. There is electricity and air ventilation. There is also an elevator and a system of rails.
It takes a lot of time and hard work to build this tunnel. Drug cartels have a lot of money. They try very hard to get drugs to the US.
US officials do not put anybody in prison. They do not find any drugs in the tunnel. However, they want to find out more information. They want to find out about the criminal activity in the tunnel.
Difficult words: drug cartel (a criminal organization that controls a drug business), air ventilation (a system that brings fresh air in a place), rail (a system of transportation where trains travel on long pieces of metal on the ground).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.