US-Mexico Tunnel – level 2
US authorities found a tunnel that links Mexico with the US. The tunnel starts in an industrial area in Tijuana, Mexico, and ends in San Diego, California.
It is .8 miles long which makes it the longest ever tunnel. Drug cartels used it to smuggle drugs from Mexico to the US.
US officials said that the tunnel is very sophisticated. There is a rail system, air ventilation, and also an elevator.
Criminal organizations have a lot of money and they try very hard to get drugs to the US. An official also said that the police did not arrest anybody, and they did not find any drugs in the tunnel.
Difficult words: drug cartel (a criminal organization that controls the production, transport and distribution of drugs), smuggle (to illegally move things or people), sophisticated (very clever and complicated).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.