Usain Bolt at the Olympics – level 3
Kingston celebrates a Jamaican hero as Usain Bolt strikes again in Rio. The sprinter last night won gold in the 4 by 100-metre relay to complete the triple treble, winning Olympic gold in three events at three consecutive games. And back home, they couldn’t be prouder.
“What this man has done tonight not only proved to me that this man is a legend, this man is one of the greatest men to ever walk on Jamaica land!”
“Wow! Fabulous! I mean, we didn’t expect less… Look at him, so fabulous! I don’t have words to explain… Fabulous!”
“We have champions all around… Sports and musical souls, we are all over the place!”
In Rio, too, Jamaicans celebrated Bolt’s enormous achievement, expect a feat he will never pull off again. Bolt’s expected to retire after the world championships next year, but he certainly knows how to go out with a bang.
Difficult words: relay (a race when runners in a team take turns), treble (three sporting victories in the same season), consecutive (happening after one another), fabulous (amazing, great), expect (if you expect something, you think that it is going to happen), enormous (great), feat (an achievement that requires great skill), pull off (succeed in achieving), with a bang (successfully or impressively – making you say “wow”).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.