Vatican on Gender Identity – level 2
The Vatican released a 31-page paper that explains in detail how Catholic schools, parents and others should talk about ‘gender theory’.
The document criticises ‘radical’ forms of gender identity. It says that gender identity is based on only feeling, wants and confusion. The paper goes on to say that the idea of being transgender or gender neutral is not real.
Some LGBTQ groups were quick to criticise the Vatican because they see things differently. Also, some people are thinking about why the document was released in June because people wrote it in February 2019.
The month of June is the Pride Month. People choose to remember the Stonewall rebellion, which took place at the end of June 1969. The rebellion was a demonstration against police attacks on people in a gay bar in New York.
However, the document says that everyone should be respected. The Vatican is against attacking people or saying terrible things to them only because they are ‘different’.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.